When Apple released updates for their operating systems yesterday, watchOS was strangely missing. But it’s out today! Apart from the standard array of bug fixes and optimizations, it adds the promised ECG support for Series 4, and adds the ability to detect irregular heart rhythms to Series 1-3.
This update includes new features, improvements and bug fixes:
– New ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 (US and US territories only)
* Allows you to take an electrocardiogram similar to a single-lead electrocardiogram
* Can indicate whether your heart rhythm shows signs of atrial fibrillation—a serious form of irregular heart rhythm—or sinus rhythm, which means your heart is beating in a normal pattern
* Saves ECG waveform, classification and any noted symptoms in a PDF on the Health app on iPhone to share with your doctor
– Adds the ability to receive an alert if an irregular heart rhythm that appears to be atrial fibrillation is detected (US and US territories only)
– Enables direct access to supported movie tickets, coupons, and rewards cards in Wallet when tapped to a contactless reader
– Receive notifications and animated celebrations when you achieve daily maximum points in a day during an Activity competition
– New Infograph complications for Mail, Maps, Messages, Find My Friends, Home, News, Phone, Remote
– Manage your availability for Walkie-Talkie from Control Center
To install the update first update your iPhone to iOS 12.1.1, then go to the Apple Watch app on your iPhone > General > Software Update.